Thursday, July 10, 2008

Appstore + Firmware 2.0 > Iphone 3G

As many tech geeks already know, the new 3G iPhone comes out tomorrow. As an owner of the first generation iPhone, I have to admit that I'm a big fan of the phone. Over the past 11 months, I've had a great deal of fun and nervousness jailbreaking and unlocking my new shiny gadget. As a fan, I've been closely following the never ending rumors and posts dedicated to the iPhone v2 coverage. Much of the coverage on the major tech sites has been devoted to all the cool new applications that are now available. The thing is, most of these applications were already available months ago on jailbroken phones. To me, aside from the new speedier 3G network and enhanced GPS capabilities, I'm not all that impressed with the new 3G iPhone. The increased enterprise support, more polished delivery method of applications, and firmware 2.0 are much more exciting to me. Unfortunately, Apple has still not delivered on many of the features that users are still requesting (Flash support, copy and paste, video recording). Until these features are delivered, users will continue to jailbreak their phones. How many iPhones do you think Apple will sell this year? Will they reach their goal of 10 million by the end of 2008?

No comments: